Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Minister To Many Nations

Before the last email I sent, things seemed to die down a bit but they picking up again this week. The miracles we saw at the beginning of the transfer have come again! I think this is because we have made it apart of our transfer vision to pray to find the pure in heart. I also love to pray that the Lord will help us be in the right place at the right time to meet these prepared people. I think we got a little slothful the week before because I don't think we were sincerely asking to find the pure in heart every day like before when the great miracles were happening. Now that we are mindful to do so we have found so many wonderful people, including these two humble men from Iran that are open to learning the message of the restored gospel and want their family to as well. This past week I read in the scriptures that ''this is Zion—the pure in heart'' (D&C 97:21). I am grateful that all this time I have been basically praying to bring forth Zion. How amazing! I find the miracles we see each day as a shield against the fiery darts of the adversary trying to discourage us from the rejection and opposition we face each day.

Some stories out of my miracle bank for the week:
Dennis-  We first came in contact with him back in May. He is from the Philippines and very Catholic. He was not willing to sincerely read and pray to know if our message is true so we dropped him about 2 months ago. We went to visit a potential investigator that lives a few doors down from him this week. The potential was not home but we thought we ought to call by Dennis to see how he was doing. No one was at his home either but just as we turned to walk away we saw him parking his car to go home. Time has softened his heart a great deal. We were able to share the message of the Restoration with him and he asked sincere questions about how he can know the truth. He is now willing to meet with us again and seems to want us to teach his wife too!
 
More potential Chinese investigators! We ran into this one student that used to be flatmates with a recent convert. I met him some time last transfer and he wasn't too interested since he is Buddhist. When I taught him briefly about the restoration in Chinese, however, his heart softened. We asked him if we could say a prayer with him on the street and he offered to pray for us. It was such a sweet prayer.

We had the chance to call or visit Chinedu and Lukman , our investigators from Nigeria, individually and share with them powerful scriptures from the Book of Mormon about the importance and blessings of reading the scriptures. It invited the Spirit both times and with out having to invite them they told us they were going to read the Book of Mormon that very night. It has always been a common commitment we leave them both to read daily from the Book of Mormon and I just thought it was a tender mercy that the Spirit had planted in their hearts the desire to read on their own.   
One of the greatest tender mercies from this week was when we left for church Sunday morning and went to buzz the recent converts, Michael, Steven, and Amanda's, flat to make sure they were up and coming. Steven answered the intercom and not only told us they were coming but that they were going to go pick up CiCi (our new investigator and referral from them) and bring her to church. I just about cried tears of joy. They haven't been at church in over a month and both us and the ward have been trying really hard to make sure they don't go astray. My joy was full! Amanda had slept in on accident but Michal and Steven and CiCi stayed for 2 hours and the talks and lesson in Gospel Principles was just what they all needed to hear.
Garry is making great progress. I know he still has a bit to go before he will be fully prepared for baptism but I just have so much trust in the Lord to be able to prepare him completely for the end of September. It is apparent that he is feeling the Spirit and I hope he has an adequate understanding of what that implies-- that this church and gospel is so true! It is crucial that we make sure that he is able to connect these dots.  
Sister Klemm and I were blessed to be able to go to the temple this Bank Holiday. It was such a sacred day. The members that took us played General Conference on CD on the way there and back. I just wish to live in the temple. It always replenishes my supply of peace and hope. In the temple I reading in the book of Nephi and I have just come to love how Lehi and his family  ''began to bear their journeyings without murmurings'' (1 Ne 17:2). I want to make this my quest for the rest of my mission. I no longer want to murmur or complain when things get hard or uncomfortable. This week the Lord was able to teach me about the blessings of diligence despite our sufferings and discomfort. Sunday night we were finding before going in for the night for language study when I just had some really uncomfortable stomach pains. I was tempted to complain and ask that we go in a little sooner but I ignored the temptation and pressed on. While finding, we tracted into this young man we met a week or so ago. The conversation turned into a lesson. I walked away with a greater abundance of the Spirit and my stomach pains had vanished as well. The Lord knows when we are suffering and going through a hard time but if we suffer with patience and diligence, there are greater blessings awaiting than if we quit too early.
The experience I had in the temple has strengthen my desire to submit my will to the Lord. In my last two transfers I want to do what the Lord wants me to do and go where he wants me to go. My will is His. The fate of the end of my mission is in His hands.
I decorated my planner this month with pictures from the Ensign that talk about the history of the gospel in the different nations around the world. I found the phrase ''Minister to many nations'' in another article, cut it out and put it on the front cover. It was a prophetic decoration because this transfer I have seen the Lord bless us with the opportunity to teach people from all around the world: China, India, Portugal, Poland, Nigeria, Iran and the UK of course. I love being able to fulfil the Savior's commission to ''Go ye therefore, and teach‍ all nations, baptizing‍ them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost'' (Matt 28:19). The Standard of Truth Joseph Smith wrote right after publishing the 13 Articles of Faith is coming alive in my mission: ''the truth of God shall go forth boldly, nobly, and independent. Till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear.''
I am a witness that the work of the Lord is hastening. We are all so blessed to live in the days of the Restoration. I know that this gospel is true!

Love you all!
Sister Jordan


pictures:
                                                My planner this transfer







                                                     
                                                       Yesterday's temple trip





  The GIANT spider that crawled out when we were helping a recent convert peel down her wall paper. Yikes. Bring back any girls camp memories, mom? ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment