Monday, August 19, 2013

Three Weeks!


Ni hao!
Another week gone by and it feels like I have been here forever now (in a good way of course). I honestly can't believe it has only been just about three weeks since I have been here and I have lost track of the days already. I guess you can say I have been lost in the work.
 
Last week Sister LOH (turns out I have been spelling her name wrong in my emails.. oops!) and I meet up with a Chinese investigator that the Elders before us taught. He brought up the same question as he did with the Elders about ''what is truth?'' Sister Loh asked me if I would lead the lesson and I was of course nervous about doing so. When we met up with this investigator he told me that we could talk in English. I responded in Chinese that I needed to practice my Chinese so for awhile I spoke to him in Chinese but eventually I just spoke in English because his questions got deeper than my level of Chinese could handle. I cannot remember all of the questions he asked but I eventually told him that truth will exist beyond belief. We can choose whether or not to believe the truth. I then told him that I could tell him all I wanted to that this gospel is true but the only :way he could find out for himslef is for him to take the advice of John 7:17 and read the Book of Mormon himself. This was a very bold move for me and I know that it was the spirit that communicated that what I was saying was true. He pondered for a while and finally answered that he would read the Book of Mormon. He would not accept a copy though because he said that it would symbolically mean he was accepting the Book of Mormon. He wanted to read it online instead. We accepted this compromise.
 
We have seen many miracles come from bus contacting this week:
 
One night Sister Loh and I were heading back for home for the night and we had arrived at the bus stop 2 or 3 minutes after the bus we needed had just came. We got on the next bus about 10 minutes later. I scanned the bus for someone to sit next to and I ended up sitting next to this young lady. At some point during our conversation I asked if she goes to church and she told me that as a child she had always wanted to go to church but her mom wasn't all that religious. I of course got excited about her interest in attending church so I gave her a mormon.orgcard and was about to get her phone number so that we could call her. Unfortunately, we had arrived at the bus stop by our flat and my companion had already hopped off. Not wanting to be stranded on the bus alone I awkwardly took my planner and pencil and ran off. I know the Lord had prepared her and I pray she finds missionaries again.
 
Friday, we had just finished some tracking and we had an appointment next but an hour to spare before we needed to be there. We waited at a bus stop and we hopped on the next bus that came. We got on the bus and I did the same thing as before-- I scanned the crowd to see who is ready to hear the message of the gospel. I spotted another young lady and darted to the back of the bus where she was sitting. Note: it is not that easy to move to the back of a moving bus. Anyway, after I started talking to her I found out that she had a friend who was a member of the church. I asked her if she was ever interested in coming to church and she told me that she was too busy. I bore testimony that I knew that church is important because I learn something new each week and that my testimony grows from doing so. I asked her if I could say a prayer and she said that it was ok so I said a short little prayer blessing her and her family. Her stop wasn't for awhile so we also read some of the intro of the Book of Mormon together. I explained that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and then we talked about the Holy Ghost for a little. I had asked her before if she would like a copy of the Book of Mormon and she again said that she was too busy. Although she was not interested in learning more at the time I know that she is being prepared. When she got off the bus I looked around outside and knew we were no where near where we needed to be. Turns out we grabbed a bus going in the opposite direction than we wanted to be. Coincidence though? I think not. We needed to be on that bus to run into that girl.
 
One last miracle. Yesterday on our way to church I sat next to a young man who was heading to work ( an hour and a half bus ride he told me). I had already introduced myself as a missionary and I asked him is he believed in God. He told me that he didn't know if there was a God and that he would just wait until he was dead to find out. I told him that he didn't have to wait until he was dead for him to know that God lives. He asked me how he could know in this life and I told him that he could pray to know. I opened my scriptures to James 1:5 and had him read it. After he was done reading I asked him if he had ever thought about asking God himself if he was there. I then told him that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that if he would pray to know if God lives that Heavenly Father would manifest His presence in some way to him. I told him that I pray when I lose things and when I open my eyes I see the thing that I was looking for. I know that God answers prayers and I told him that I know that he will answer his. He told me he would try praying.
 
I also had a trackingmiracle this week. My companion and I knocked on different doors to get more done quicker (don't worry, we were still in sight and sound). I knocked on this one door and an older man answered. I introduced myself and asked for his name. He said his name was Syd and I was like ''that's my dad's name!'' He started walking towards me and I was a little nervous about why he was coming closer so I stared backing away. He came outside on the doorstep and told me that his wife had just passed away and that he had been really busy arranging her funeral but that I should come back another day. I was overcome with sympathy and I told him that I knew that we can be together with our families and that his wife was in a better place watching over him. I know that those were the things he needed to hear at that moment. We are hopefully going back soon to teach him. 
 
This week I learned a very important lesson that we are never lost when we are on the Lord's errand. I learned this because sometimes I feel that we just wander around not really having solid plans but by the end of the day when we reflect on our day,  we see that the Lord had guided us every step of the way. The Lord can take you to to places and bless you in ways that you never imagined if you will let him.
 
Love you all! Thanks for all of the wonderful emails and for the prayers on my behalf.
Sister Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment