Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Windows to the Soul



It has been a really great week. A lot of good things are happening in our area.

Lukman is doing quite well. We have been keeping his lessons well fellowshipped. Lukman is practically best friends with Brother Reynolds, a member in the ward, which is perfect. We had invited Lukman to attend Sunday's Missionary Fireside earlier in the week and he said he would come. Saturday when we had our lesson with him and when we followed up on church he told us he would either go to church or the fireside--not both. My heart was saddened that we probably would not have a way to the fireside with out him but I knew church would be more important, especially as were are preparing him to be baptized at the end of this month. He came to church with us yesterday and it was a miracle! Brother Reynolds ended up giving a talk in sacrament meeting and I think this really helped Lukman feel the spirit. He enjoyed sacrament so much that he changed his mind and was willing to go the fireside. He said he enjoyed the fireside as well.

We also had a really great lesson with our investigator Lin Yun this week. We brought a Relief Society sister to come teaching with us and she was so vital to the lesson. We are still teaching Lin Yun the Plan of Salvation and we read in Alma 42 together since she hasn't been reading in a while. Yun still isn't sure if what we are teaching her is something she believes is true. We spent time talking about the Holy Ghost and how He will help her know the truth. The member we brought along shared some really great experiences about how the Holy Ghost has protected her family. Lin Yun seemed to gain a desire for the Holy Ghost after hearing these stories. She always prays that her children will be safe and healthy. We explained that after baptism, she can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Sister Lee and I are remaining diligent with inviting all of our investigators to church each week and we have seen the blessings of doing so because one of our investigators that we haven't seen in forever just showed up to sacrament on his own. Miracles! I am grateful the Lord is helping us reach the standard of excellence for sacrament attendance so far this month.

This week I went back to Manchester YSA for exchange . It was weird going on exchange in an old area but I loved it. I loved being able to see both of my recent converts and so many of the YSA members I have come to love so much. I had a bit of deja vu and it confused me so much when I woke up in the middle of the night trying to figure out where I was and why I was back in my old flat haha.

A lot of the miracles we had this week was when people letting us into their homes when we were tracting. I haven't had many experiences like this so far on my mission and I am just so grateful for the great hospitality these people showed us. Those that did let us in weren't ready to accept the gospel just yet but I know the Lord is helping them be more prepared as we help their hearts continue to soften.

This past week I am working on personalizing the atonement to my life. I know if I am to teach about the Atonement, I need to have more experiences of feeling the power of the Atonement help me to change. I know I have many weaknesses I still need to work on getting rid of and in my scripture study this past week I came to a realization of how important it is to replace our bad habits with something good and the pure power of the Atonement will do its job.  The Book of Mormon is filled with stories about real people that were the vilest of sinners but experienced a marvelous change as they came unto a correct understanding of the Savior. These stories in the Book of Mormon give my soul so much hope that I can change and become a better disciple of Christ. I know the Book of Mormon is true.

As I reflect on my week, something that stood out to me is how looking into the eyes of people we talk to has really helped me to connect with the people I meet. The eyes really are the window to the soul. I feel like my soul can connect to their souls, awakening them to hear the truth of our message as missionaries. I know deep within everyone we meet is a memory of what they once knew before this life. As I consciously peer into their eyes I silently pray that the Spirit will communicate to them as I speak. Each time I do this, I have seen my prayer answered. There is just something so special about looking into someone eyes, something that helps them linger there with you just a little bit longer. Even if it only means I am  able to talk to someone for just 10 extra seconds I know it is because I looked into their eyes and caught their attention by the Spirit.

Being a full time disciple of Jesus Christ is such a privilege. I love my Heavenly Father and I love my Savior. I know they are inviting us to come unto them every single day of our lives.

Sister Jordan



                             My new split tag! Gotta love havin connections ;)





                                                The Wrexham Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment