Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Staying in Liverpool

 It's transfer time again! And guess what? Sister Loh and I will be staying together for a third transfer here in Liverpool! So far I see the trend of staying in areas for quite awhile. I will be Sister Loh's longest companion- she has never been with anyone for more than two transfers. The other Sisters we shared a flat with, Sister Hubbard and Sister Vosloo, are both being transferred to different areas :( Our district will be getting 5 different missionaries this next transfer (there are 4 sets of missionaries total here). Crazy changes!

We had a zone meeting last week about rededicating ourselves and our missions to the Lord. During the meeting, the Zone Leaders gave us a funny demonstration on how we often times past people that could really use the gospel in their lives as we are walking to our various destinations. I made it my determination to talk to more people on the street for the rest of my mission. As we were leaving the church gates, I saw this man that was about to walk past and I thought ''this is it! I am going to start now and talk to this man.'' I stopped to talk to him and I told him how we were missionaries and had just come from the church and he was like ''I want to change.'' Whaat?! No way! We explained to him that this is a gospel of change and that through Christ we can make those changes. We exchanged information and told him we would contact him soon. The Lord really is preparing those around us and putting them in our paths.

Sister Loh and I were in charge of a baptism over the weekend. Black, a Chinese student, was taught by the Elders before us. He was supposed to be baptized before he left for China this summer but he had to wait until he got back for certain reasons. He had his interview during General Conference weekend and it was kind of a scramble trying to get everything together because we weren't able to announce his baptism on Sunday at church since there was no formal church service. We had to jump over a few hurdles but everything worked out in the end. It was quite a successful baptism and we had a very good turn out given the circumstances.

Kirk is doing a lot better since the last time I wrote. He had some personal matters that had been weighing down on him ever since we met him. In fact, it was one of the first things that he told us when we first met him which surprised me because we were strangers to him. He has been telling us that these personal matters were not going to be resolved until this week and he has brought it up almost every time we saw him. He sent us a text message this past Monday telling us that everything had worked out- miracle! His countenance has changed so much since then. He is so much happier and he is really looking forward to his baptism next month. Kirk came to the baptism we had over the weekend. I had a chance to talk to him while we were having refreshments and he told me that the Spirit was really strong for him when Black was being baptized. I am so grateful that he is able to recognize the Holy Ghost. Kirk wasn't the only investigator that we had that was able to feel the Spirit at the baptism. Our investigator, Xing, told us that he felt peace during the baptism. We asked if that was because of the Holy Ghost and we were like ''YES!''

We got a call from our Zone Leaders Friday night asking us to pray for a 3 month old baby boy, Alex, that had a really bad case of meningitis. Alex is a child of a mother who's parents are inactive but grandparents are active members in the church. The Zone Leaders had gone to the hospital to give this baby a blessing and they asked that we would pray on his behalf, asking that his life would be spared because he was that sick. We got on our knees that night and prayed that he would be able to overcome this sickness and live. Our prayers were answered! We went to the hospital Sunday afternoon with the Elders and if I hadn't been told beforehand that he was on the verge of dying just 3 days before, I wouldn't have believed it. Alex is looking very healthy and he is on the road to recovery. I think this miracle has definitely softened the hearts of the family.

 As I said earlier, I will be staying in Liverpool for at least one more transfer. I am grateful that I will be able to be here for the baptism of an investigator my companion and I started teaching. The adventures here continue!

Sister Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment