Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Time is Far Spent


This week we taught a student named Sophie. She is an office referral. She became a new investigator this past week and Sister Loh and I were very excited to finally have another female investigator to teach, which are only a few at the moment. We invited her to be baptized the first time we met her and she asked us what she would have to do once she was baptized and we explained that weekly church attendance was a major part of being a member of the church. I think this might overwhelmed her a little off a little school work and doesn't want her to be distracted by meeting with us. (Noooooooo!) Her mom has convinced her that it would be better to meet with missionaries after she is done with school so in like in a year or so. So sad! Oh well. The seed has been planted and she has a Book of Mormon now so she will at least be able to read from it.

Chirs and Karis are our other investigators. They are a couple and they are both students here at Liverpool University. We taught them the restoration and invited them to pray to know if this church is true. Karis was worried about praying because she knows that if she gets an answer it will majorly change her beliefs.

I have really great news! Do you remember the man I met my first transfer, Thomas? I saw him three times in the first week I met him and then never saw him again. I have been praying to be able to run into him again and give him a pamphlet on the Plan of Salvation. Well this week I saw him again! He was on a very packed bus we got on and I hadn't even noticed he was on the bus. He got up to leave for his stop and he stopped to talk to us as he passed our seats. Luckily, we had been hoping to call by his nephew's house for awhile to give the pamphlet so had it on me and I was able to give it to him before he got off the bus. I have no idea where this will go but I know the Lord is watching out for him and preparing his heart to receive more.

Funny story time. Sister Loh and I were waiting at the bus stop and we were saying hi to those that passed by us in the hopes that they would stop and let us talk to them. Nobody was really interested. This one young man who was probably in his mid 20s was walking towards us and so I smiled and said hi to him just like I had been to everyone else who had passed by. It looked like he was going to take the same bus we were because he had stopped a couple feet away from us. Just as I was about to go talk to him, he came back towards us and said to me ''This is random but can I have your number?'' I stared at him probably looking really confused why he had asked for my number and he continued by explaining that he wanted to take me on a date. What? I've just met you and have only said hi. hahah. The funny thing was both Sister Loh and I were writing our names and number on pass along cards but there was no way I was going to give him one of those. I told him that I was a missionary and that I don't go on dates. He told me I could have his number instead. Ok. Before taking his number I explained to him that I would call him only if he was interested in learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ. He said he ''was'' but who knows. Yep. Every day in Liverpool is an adventure.

One day I was bus contacting and two people in a row that I had sat and talked to told me that they were suffering from depression. It is sad how many people here suffer from that. One of them was named David and he has actually met with Sisters but it has probably been years since. He had lost his Book of Mormon so I gave him the copy I had on me. He really appreciated it. He asked if I had any suggestions on where to read and at first I told him to just start from the beginning. I searched by mind for a scripture to read with him and I concluded that Helaman 5:12 would be good for him. I read it for him and explained that if we put Christ as our foundation in life, nothing can overpower us, even our illnesses. He really liked the scripture and agreed with it.

I was starting to feel down trodden not too long ago and I have been praying that I would find a way out of the slump I was in. One day during personal study I was reading a talk by Jeffery R. Holland about the restoration. In that talk he wrote about David O McKay's father's experience while he was on a mission in Scotland. David O McKay's father felt really depressed at one point during his mission and because so many people were not interested in hearing the gospel he decided he would just teach and not testify. One day he decided to go to a quiet place and plead for guidance on how to over come the depression he was feeling. He got the impression that he had neglected to testify about Joseph Smith and the restoration. David O. McKay remembers the powerful testimony his father had shared with him about Joseph Smith. After reading that talk I took comfort that I had found an answer to my prayers-- simply bear testimony and you will be happier. I applied it to my bus and street contacting and immediately noticed a difference. I am so happy to be able to speared the glad message of the restoration and bear testimony that I know it is true.

I noticed something very interesting this week. I have noticed that when we are filled with charity, the pure love of Christ, anything is possible. One day I was just so filled with the joy that comes from sharing the gospel and I felt like I really had that Christ-like love for everyone I had met that day. We were on our way to our appointment to see our recent convert and met Jack, a Chinese Uni student. We ended up talking to him for over 15 minutes. Later that night I reflected on how easy it was to understand him and just the whole conversation although I may not have literally understood/ recognized every word that was said. I was studying charity in the Christ like attributes chapter in Preach My Gospel and realized that it was that Christ like love I had that day that helped me understand Jack. When we have the gift of Charity, all other gifts, even the gift of interpretation of tongues, seem to fall in place. It is my belief that charity is the anchor to all the other Christ like attributes. If we have charity, it is easier to have hope. If we have charity, it is easier to be obedient, etc.

On Saturday, we ate dinner with Sascha and Igor (members), and our investigators Karis, Chris, Kirk and his son Owen. Owen said the cutest thing during dinner. Chris or Karis asked Owen what religion he was and Owen told them that he was Mormon. Mind you he is only 7 and a half. When asked why he was Mormon and Owen simply stated ''because I feel it's right.'' So adorable! It is amazing how children can notice the witness of the Spirit that what they learn is true.

It was time for us to set back our clocks an hour on Saturday. Yes! Gained an hour of sleep. It was wonderful.

I have finally heard from Sister Goldrup. She was in Indiana for awhile but she has finally made it to Australia! Yay! So happy for her.

We start our companionship study off everyday as a flat by singing a hymn. One day we sang ''The Time is Far Spent'' (Hymn 266). The words really resonated with me so I thought I would share them with you all:

The time is far spent; there is little remaining
To publish glad tidings by sea and by land.
Then hasten, ye heralds; go forward proclaiming:
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven's at hand,
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven's at hand.

Shrink not from your duty, however unpleasant,
But follow the Savior, your pattern and friend.
Our little afflictions, tho painful at present,
Ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end,
Ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end.

What, tho, if the favor of Ahman possessing,
This world's bitter hate you are called to endure?
The angels are waiting to crown you with blessings!
Go forward, be faithful, the promise is sure.
Go forward, be faithful, the promise is sure.

Be fixed in your purpose, for Satan will try you;
The weight of your calling he perfectly knows.
Your path may be thorny, but Jesus is nigh you;
His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.
His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.

The adversary is aware that the work is hastening. Though there is opposition, the work will go on. I know that this gospel is true. May we all try our best to share it with a voice of hope. ''Go forward, be faithful, the promise is sure.''

Sister Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment