Friday, November 22, 2013

Teach Ye All Nations


Hello friends and family!

I would like to first start out with a funny Liverpool moment:
I was on the bus and the lady I had been talking to got off. There was this older man ( I think he was a little drunk) that was across the aisle. I smiled and said hello and he was like ''WOW!!! You're teeth are white!!!!''  I replied ''Yes. I go to the dentist.'' Got to love the people of Liverpool.

C Minor is doing great. We taught him the Word of Wisdom the other day and found out that he will have to give up some things if he is to be ready for baptism. It makes sense now that he didn't feel ready for baptism if he was praying to know if he was ready. Hopefully he will be able to overcome this road block.

This week during personal study I was studying about enduring to the end. I decided to read 2 Nephi 31:16-21 as suggested in Preach My Gospel. Verse 16 reads: ''And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.'' After reading this verse it stood out to me that a part of enduring to the end is developing Christlike attributes. I then thought of how great it would be if the following verses included all of the Christlike attributes. They do! I encourage you all to read this passage of scripture and find faith, hope, charity, humility, obedience, diligence, patience, knowledge, and virtue. I promise you they are all there. There is so many hidden treasures we can find in the scriptures when we take the time to really ''feast upon the words of Christ.'' :)

Sister Loh and I were street contacting on our way to an appointment one day and we saw this Chinese man so we stopped to talk to him. I understood the conversation and then about a minute later I had no clue what they were saying. They had switched to Cantonese! Yeah.. Ting bu dong (I don't understand). It was not beneficial to just stand there not knowing what was going on so I went to talk to this African man that was a couple feet away. I don't know if I had said this before, but I LOVE talking to black people here in England. I always think ''my people!'' haha. Anyway, I start talking to this man, he tells me he is from Nigeria and I tell him I am from America here on a mission. I gave him a Book of Mormon which he was hesitant to receive because he believes the Bible is all he needs. I bore testimony that I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and I also told him that I was a representative of Jesus Christ here to spread his restored gospel. It is amazing how much power you can feel when you bear witness that you are a representative of Jesus Christ. I think the Holy Ghost witnessed to him the truth of what I was saying because he finally accepted the copy of the Book of Mormon and said he would read it and if it says the same thing as the Bible, he would accept its teachings. I told him that there are plenty of chapters in the Book of Mormon that quote Isiah . I left him with a prayer and rejoined my companion who was still talking in Cantonese with the Chinese man. After I walked away I saw the man I had talked to reading the Book of Mormon!

A thought I had this week is how much I love being a Chinese speaking missionary. The language is hard, yes, but it is so worth being a Chinese Missionary because the Chinese work here is incredible. I know that the Chinese here in England are very special sons and daughters of God. Many of them are just so golden and have a sincere desire to learn about Jesus Christ.

I have a really great miracle to share! Last week, Sister Loh and I were on our way to an appointment and we had some extra time to street contact on our way there. We were walking past this house when all of the sudden I felt the need to stop. I was like ''how about we knock on this door?'' It was a crazy idea but we went with it. As we got to the door step we were trying to figure out what to say if someone came to the door. Another crazy thought I had was to sing a Christmas hymn to who ever answered the door. We ring the bell, a man comes out. We tell him we were missionaries and that we wanted to sing him a Christmas song. The first thing he said to us was ''I am Christian!'' We sang Silent Night for him, and during the song, a woman came to the door as well. Turns out to be the man's sister who is also Christian. They are from Iran and speak Persian but we were able to set up a time to see them in the following days. The day we went over as planned, no one answered the door. Bummer. We waited 10 to 15 minutes and finally started walking away. Just as we reached the bottom of the drive-way, a lady that I hadn't seen before came out. We stopped her and asked for the people we had met a couple of days before. She eventually invited us in, disappeared down stairs, and brought back the woman we had talked to. She was home! Long story short, we taught her the restoration in very broken English. We had cups that we use as a visual and it helped her understand. At the end of the lesson I asked her ''when you feel gospel good, will you be baptized?'' She nodded and said yes! The fellow shipper we were with may have been surprised and asked her ''you understand?'' and she nodded her head again and said ''yes.'' We will see her again this week. I love England because I get to teach people from so many nations.

Transfers are coming up soon! In fact, today President Preston and his Assistants will be doing transfer planning. I may or may not be training this next transfer.. oh boy.

The Liverpool stake had stake conference this past weekend. The sessions had an emphasis on hastening the work of salvation. It is amazing to see the increased enthusiasm to share the gospel after this past General Conference.

Remember that Christ invites ALL men to come unto him. Of course not just ''men'' but women and children as well. Something I thought of as I pondered this week was that sometimes we may hold back sharing the gospel with certain people because we feel that they would reject it or that they would not want to change their life to live the gospel. Remember that Christ denies no one. I can hear the Savior's invitation '' Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me'' (3 Nephi 9:14).

Love you all!
Sister Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment